Friday 15 March 2013

Review: The Declaration by Gemma Malley


Title: The Declaration 
Author: Gemma Malley
Publisher: Bloomsbury  
Release Date: 5th May 2008 
Format: Paperback (304 pages)
Series: The Declaration Trilogy 

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Anna Covey is a ‘Surplus’. She should not have been born. In a society in which ageing is no longer feared, and death is no longer an inevitability, children are an abomination.

Like all Surpluses, Anna is living in a Surplus Hall and learning how to make amends for the selfish act her parents committed in having her. She is quietly accepting of her fate until, one day, a new inmate arrives. Anna’s life is thrown into chaos. But is she brave enough to believe this mysterious boy?

A tense and utterly compelling story about a society behind a wall, and the way in which two young people seize the chance to break free.

Cover: The cover is pretty and a lot better than the first edition but I much prefer the later more recent version.  

The Characters: Ana is the main character, I don’t have too many qualms with her, she’s just okay. The same applies to Peter. I wasn’t all together swooning over him or for their romance. I was however rooting for their freedom.   

The Plot: The story has a good premise and sounds really interesting, it’s just that the way it was carried out by the author that failed.  

What I liked: The initial idea, the fact that people can stay alive for ever but not young forever, that immortality has consequences. I also liked a certain part of Mrs Pincent’s backstory. 

What I didn’t like: The end. I mean there were quite a few things that I disliked but the ending was what ruined it for me. I found myself staring at the page, saying “Seriously? Could you have done anything more predictable/cliché?”  The same quote applies to another plot twist. Saw that coming a mile away. 

Recommend? Not really. 

Final Thoughts: The Declaration is readable (I read it in two days), it’s just not enjoyable.  


Rating: 2 1/2 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment